National Watermelon Day comes at a great time exactly in the middle of the summer when it’s watermelon on the beach season. For that reason (rhyme intended), we’ve made 7 recipes that work well as a light snack, a yummy filling but light salad or a refreshing drink.
By Mariam Elhamy
This sweet-and-savory Watermelon Bruschetta will make bring the party to everyone’s tastebuds! Perfect for summer. watermelon recipes
- 2 & 1/2 cups of fresh seedless watermelon, chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 baguette (or preferred bread) cut into slices
- Black pepper
- Toast the baguette slices on a baking sheet for a few minutes, until slightly crispy.
- In a saucepan, mix the balsamic vinegar and honey and heat over medium-high. Stir regularly and let the mixture reach a simmer, and then reduce heat slightly to keep at a simmering point. Stir occasionally and remove from heat once the mixture has reduced by half and has thickened, about 15 to 20 mins.
- Combine the feta and ricotta in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Spread the whipped feta on the toasted bread and top with the finely chopped watermelon. Sprinkle with black pepper, basil, and chives.
- Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the bruschetta and serve.
Watermelon Cucumber and Quinoa Salad
We can all agree that quinoa is not always the best of friends with many ingredients but this watermelon-quinoa salad just works so well you’ll be making it every week.
- 1 cucumber diced, skin on
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Basil and Mint Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup finely sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, add in dry quinoa and water on medium-high heat, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 12-15 min until cooked. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool. watermelon recipes
- In a large salad bowl, add in all ingredients and gently toss.
- In a glass jar add in all vinaigrette ingredients and shake well until emulsified together then mix with salad.
A real healthy option that will not ruin your diet but is still scrummy with its crunchy and sweet flavors.
- 1 medium watermelon, cubed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1–2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, not packed
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- In a bowl, place watermelon and drizzle olive oil and sea salt. Then add sliced onion, feta, almonds, and mint leaves.
- In a blender, blend dressing ingredients until smooth and drizzle over salad.
Icy cold, summery and refreshing, watermelon frosties are not just sweet but also delicious to sip on a hot summer day. watermelon recipes
- 2 cups frozen watermelon cubes
- 1/2 frozen banana
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2-3 leaves of mint
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until incorporated but still thick.
- Pour into glass and garnish with more mint and lime.
Watermelon Feta Salad
Mixing fresh cold sweet watermelon cubes with salty cheese is always a good combo. This salad is so refreshing and will leave you feeling light as ever. watermelon recipes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cup cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 cup medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red vinegar, and salt.
- In a large serving bowl, combine watermelon, cucumber, feta, red onion, and mint.
- Pour over dressing, tossing to combine. Garnish with more mint.
Flank Steak with Watermelon Salad
If you’re just dying for a juicy piece of steak but don’t want to get too heavy. Try this refreshing flank steak salad. Yummy.