Here’s something worth knowing. Your body burns up to 6% more calories a day while keeping you warm on chilly days. So you can try these simple recipes with zero guilt factor involved! winter puddings
Traditional Bread and Butter Pudding
- One loaf of sliced toast bread (at last two days old)
- 1 cup of raisins
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup cooking cream
- Whipping cream for on the side
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut into triangles. Butter lightly on both sides and dust with cinnamon and nutmeg. Arrange standing at an angle in a baking dish with a sprinkle of raisins in between each layer. winter puddings
- Beat cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and sugar and pour over the bread, leaving the top third uncovered. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the bread to start to absorb the liquid then sprinkle a little sugar over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at around 120 Celsius for around 30 minutes or until golden brown and the custard is set. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding
For an indulgent treat switch the raisins and nutmeg for a large cup of finely chopped chunks of plain dark chocolate. Add ½ cup good quality cocoa powder mixed with a little milk to the milk, cream and egg mixture. A good dash of rum (optional) or rum flavored essence adds a kick. winter puddings
Lemon Sponge Pudding
We all know how important it is to get our vitamin C in winter, and this does the trick. A light sponge with a rich, citrus-y sauce as you dig down, it simply screams for lashings of whipped cream. It may take a little bit of effort but it is totally worth it.
- 50g butter
- 200g caster sugar or fine white sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ cup lemon juice (include the juice from the zested lemon)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 50g plain flour, sifted
- 1 large cup milk
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Whipped cream to serve
- Heat the oven to 180 Celsius. Whisk the butter, sugar and lemon zest until they are pale and creamy with a beater or in a food processor. Add the lemon juice, egg yolks, flour, milk and vanilla one by one until you have a smooth batter. Whisk the egg whites until firm but not stiff, and fold the mixtures together. winter puddings
- Pour into a buttered ovenproof soufflé or baking dish and put it in a baking tray half filled with hot water. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is lightly browned and set and there is a gooey lemon curd below. Serve hot with whipped cream.
- Stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.