Starting the conversation and building it up doesn’t come naturally to everyone. Just like with any meal, appetizers are great to get you in the mood for the main course, everybody enjoys a good conversation. A good conversation is mainly about striking a balance between listening and sharing. Conversation Starters
It’s crazy to think of how people struggle to have a decent conversation nowadays just because of how attached we are to social media and communicating through text. Ironically, all these touch screens and gadgets have actually made us lose touch.
Most times people can have a good conversation but don’t know how to start one. So, here are three tips that are guaranteed to help you kickstart any conversation:
By Ahmed Talal
1. Try asking people about themselves
People are usually happy to engage in a conversation that focuses on them then, they’ll direct it back to you. This way, you’re not just having mindless small talk, rather you’re getting to know the person you’re conversing with. Conversation Starters
2. A small compliment can go a long way
People appreciate the fact you’ve noticed a small detail about them that others may have been oblivious to. This automatically gives you both something to talk about and you can build from there as supporting questions will pop into your head naturally.
Even those small questions can remind the person of an experience they’d like to share or some story, etc.
3. Ask for someone’s opinion on something small
You will be fascinated with some of the things you learn from people’s opinions. They will weigh up the pros and cons for you, from their perspective which can definitely teach you a thing or two! Conversation Starters
Here are some things you can say to start a conversation:
- Tell me about yourself.
- Have you done anything exciting lately?
- What’s your favorite form of social media?
- What was the last good book you read?
- What do you think is the best show on Netflix right now?
- Have you been on any interesting trips lately?
- What do you think has been the best movie of the year so far?
- What song do you wish you could put on right now?
- Are you a cat person or a dog person?
- Do you think you’re an introvert or an extrovert?
- If you didn’t have the job you have now, what would you be?
- What’s your strangest hidden talent?
- What is something people are always surprised to learn about you?
- What is the most rewarding part of your career?