Plain, lathered in sauce or blended with nuts – this classic creamy dessert with it crumbly crust remains an all-time favorite. Oven-Baked Cheesecake
Cheesecakes around the world – Did you know?
Cheesecake is made differently depending on where you are in the world. There is a bake version and a no-bake version with all kinds of varieties in between. Let’s take a look:
- Italians use ricotta in the cream cheese mix.
- Germans use a very sour type of cheese that tastes very much like yogurt.
- The French use Neufchatel cheese (one of the oldest in France).
- In Belgium, the crust is made used a chocolate-based Dutch-Belgian biscuit.
- Matcha green tea in Japan is sometimes folded in with the cheese.
Bake vs. No-Bake
You can prepare cheesecake either by baking or refrigerating – they’re both as delicious and creamy. The difference is that the hot version requires incorporating eggs into the cream cheese mixture and baking the crust.
The cold version requires you to freeze the crust for 10 minutes and then chill the cream cheese filling for about 3-4 hours. Oven-Baked Cheesecake
Oven-Baked Cheesecake Recipe:
For the crust
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus room-temperature butter for pan
- 12 Digestive biscuits/Graham Crackers – crushed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
For the filling
- 2 – 3 packs (Philadelphia or Kiri)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC) and butter a round oven baking pan while you make the crust.
- Mix biscuits, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Press mixture into pan and bake until it’s set (12 to 15 minutes); let it cool down.
- Beat cream cheese with sugar, until fluffy. Add lemon zest/ juice, and salt. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down side of bowl after each addition, then add the sour cream at the end.
- Boil some water in a kettle and wrap the bottom half of pot in foil. Pour filling into the pot; place it in a roasting pan, and pour in boiling water to come halfway up the side of pan. Oven-Baked Cheesecake
- Bake until just set in center, about 1 3/4 hours. Remove pan from water; let cool 20 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge; let cool completely.
- Cover; chill overnight before serving. Add caramel, blueberry, raspberry or chocolate sauce before serving.