Winter season calls for warm beverages and when you’re craving sweet hot chocolate keep in mind these 6 recipes that will take your hot cocoa game to the next level!
By Mariam Elhamy
Spicy Maple Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
We promised hot cocoa recipes with a twist and we delivered! Cozy up with this spicy hot chocolate with your favorite maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (add up to 2 more tablespoons to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Pour milk into a medium-sized saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Whisk in chocolate, maple syrup, and spices. Continue whisking occasionally until milk is hot and steamy. Taste, and add more maple syrup if needed.
- Meanwhile, whisk heavy whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Pour steaming hot chocolate into mugs, add a dollop of whipped cream and a cinnamon stick, and finish with a pinch of chili powder.
Orange Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
Orange, cinnamon and chocolate are best friends, that’s why this hot chocolate recipe works! hot chocolate recipes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- Mini marshmallows
- Add the milk, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon stick to a small saucepan on medium heat. Whisk until the ingredients are combined. Heat it until it starts to gently bubble, stirring it occasionally.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and leave it on the heat for 2 more mins.
- Top with marshmallows and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
Peppermint hot chocolate is always refreshing and sweet, perfect for the holiday season.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 Tbsps. crushed candy canes or 1/4 Tbsp. of peppermint extract
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and half-and-half to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and crushed candy canes until smooth.
- Serve with whipped cream and crushed candy canes for garnish.
Gingerbread Hot Cocoa
Ginger and cinnamon are just the spices that bring us up on those cool winter days, this hot chocolate is perfect on Netflix night with your friends. hot chocolate recipes
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 1/2 tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine brown sugar, molasses, cocoa powder, spices, vanilla and salt. Stir in the milk.
- Heat mixture over medium heat and whisk until hot.
- Serve with whipped cream and sprinkled cinnamon.
Cheesecake Hot Chocolate
This hot chocolate tastes just like cheesecake in a cup but the difference is, you don’t have to wait for a whole cheesecake to bake.
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Graham cracker crumbs and whipped cream, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, warm up the milk over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Turn the heat down to low then whisk in the vanilla and cream cheese until melted.
- Whisk in the white chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs
Red Velvet Hot Cocoa
Red velvet fans will adore this red hot sweet drink. If you feel the cream cheese is too heavy for you, you can substitute it with light whipped cream. hot chocolate recipes
- 4 cups whole milk
- Dash of water
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-4 tsps whipped cream cheese
- Whisk together sugar and heavy cream at a medium speed for 2 to 3 mins. Add whipped cream cheese and whisk for another 2 mins.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat. Add a splash of water and chocolate chips, stirring gently.
- When the mixture is almost melted, add food coloring and stir gently.
- Pour the hot chocolate into cups and top with whipped cream.